Doctor or Midwife? Hospital or Home birth? How to Choose!

A mother of 9 I have experienced traditional doctor delivery in the hospital, midwives in hospital birthing centers and am planning to have baby 9 with a midwife at home this month. 

If your not sure how to choose who will care for you and baby there are a few key things to take into account:

Watch This TikTok for more info on how to choose.

@allsurreal @allsurreal &ltmore tips #pregnanttiktok #pregnancyjourney #pregnancy #pregnancytip #laboranddelivery #pregnantbelly #pregnantlife #pregnantšŸ¤° #babymom ♬ Emotional (Instrumental) - BLVKSHP

Pain Medication

This is one of the biggest deciding factors. Most people fall in 1 of 3 categories:

  1. Give me an epidural the moment I get to the hospital - I want to feel nothing
    1. If this is you I suggest a doctor delivery in the hospital
  2. No IV, no drugs, if you touch me with a needle you might get punched.
    1. A Midwife at home or a birthing center are great options for you
  3. I'd like to do a natural birth if I can - but I am open to pain meds should I need them
    1. Any of the options are good for you.
The thing to keep in mind here is if you plan for a home birth with a Midwife you create a plan around the what if's that might mean going into the hospital.

Insurance Coverage

Home births or birthing center births with a midwife are much less spendy than a hospital birth. And they are also a lot more upfront & transparent about their costs. But they can still run you several thousand dollars.

Prior to deciding where you will give birth and who will attend to you call your insurance and ask them what is covered. Will they cover a home birth? Will they cover a midwife? What percentage of the hospital birth will they cover? Are there procedures they won't cover and what are they?

Do you Like Them?

Don't be afraid to to meet with several providers. If you don't like the first one try someone else. Bring a list of questions with you to your first appointment to see if they are aligned with (or at a minimum willing to support you in) your personal values, beliefs, needs when it comes to pregnancy & birth.

Find my favorite Baby Products on Amazon HERE

I hope this blog helps. Follow me on TikTok and/or Instagram for daily and weekly content from an Actress/Model/ Mother of 9 (yes I have 9 kids!) I share parenting, daily-life, home decor, along with pregnancy, baby and delivery tips and whatever else is currently happening in my life.

Thank you for reading. 
Follow AllSurreal on Instagram. 
Subscribe to Graves8 Family Adventures on YouTube



Comments

Popular Posts