Kitchen Remodel on a budget - DIY & Thrifting

 Our kitchen desperately needed redone after 18 years of use from a family of 10. So my husband and I set out over a summer to thrift as many of the materials and supplies as we could and do all the labor ourselves.



We decided to go with concrete countertops and even poured floating concrete shelves. Found a double oven on craigslist for $450 that had barely been used (if ever) And a JenAir cooktop on Craigslist as well for $75 that has worked AMAZING. And a great in cupboard microwave that a contractor had pulled out of a remodel and was selling cheap.

The trick to finding good appliances is patience - and checking them out before committing. In the case of the double oven - it came out of an extremely expensive home that was remodeling the kitchen and it literally looked like the oven had never been used the new owners just wanted an update.

We decided to build open shelving below the counters (except on the dishwasher side where we put a bay of drawers). We hung a curtain to hide the under sink mess I sewed it from some leftover fabric I had from another project that happened to match the room well.

The dinning room we had already made custom wainscoating and I used a bolt of excess fabric from my late grandmothers sewing stash to make roman shades. Which are quite simple really CHECK OUT THIS TUTORIAL to make your own. Estate sales are a GREAT place to find large bolts of upholstry and other fabric that can be used for home decor. I've made several sets of curtains, couch covers etc. finding cheap fabric this way.

The tile we bought new along with the refrigerator and dishwasher. And my husband built a custom island using a butcher block for extra counter space and storage.

Check out the process in this ticktock video:

@allsurreal #kitchendesign #diyproject #renovation #remodel #kitchendecor #homeimprovement #diningroom #homedecor ♬ BARELY BREATHING - Grant Averill

And take the final tour here:

@allsurreal #kitchentour #diningroomdecor #renovation #kitchenremodel #kitchendesign #kitchendecor #homedecor #homeimprovement ♬ Imagination - Lize Mynhardt


I hope this blog helps. Follow me on TikTok and/or Instagram for daily and weekly content from an Actress/Model /  Mother of 9 (yes I have 9 kids!) I share parenting, daily-life, home decor, along with pregnancy, baby and delivery tips and whatever else is currently happening in my life.

Thank you for reading. 
Follow AllSurreal on Instagram. 

Subscribe to Graves8 Family Adventures on YouTube 

Comments

Popular Posts