Responsibility Charts

I've had so many requests for more information about our responsibility charts since I posted this photo on Facebook and Twitter via Instagram:


http://instagram.com/p/nJ8XweyOsg/

So, here is the story that led to these charts, and how they work.


First, though, If you and I have never met, here's me:

I've worked in Television Production for the last 2 years, just graduated with my Bachelor of Fine Arts in Digital Film and Video, I work as an Actress and Model, and I sometimes do freelance film and video work.....Oh - and I'm raising & homeschooling 8 kids in an old church in the country.  That about sums up my life.

Until about 6 months ago, my days at home consisted of home-school, constantly reminding kids to do chores, late nights of homework, and AT LEAST 6 loads of laundry every day...my washer and dryer ran nonstop.  My typical power bill $300-$350 per month (and we heat with a wood stove, so the bill isn't from our nice forced air system, because we don't have one.)

As I would wash and fold laundry, I was constantly finding piles of folded clean laundry that had been thrown on a floor, or shoved in some corner, then walked all over until they were no longer clean.  I won't lie, this mad my blood boil, considering I barely had time to get all of the laundry done in the first place, WHY was I having to rewash clean folded laundry!?  But nothing I did seemed to fix the situation, until......

There was a bad winter freeze, and my washer broke :) :) :)

My husband, being very handy, offered to fix it, but I refused.  I decided my children needed to learn to be responsible for their own clothes, plus, what child couldn't use a lesson in financial responsibility.

So...
We decided to give each child $5 per week, and on Saturday's we would visit the laundry mat.  They were responsible for bringing their own laundry (in the new laundry bag they got for Christmas ;)  paying for, washing, and drying it, then folding and putting it away when we got home.  At the end of every month, any money left in their money bag was theirs. (Yes they got a money bag for Christmas too - oh and a towel that matched the color of their money and laundry bag, and if they loose the towel, well they can just shake dry after their shower, cuz 10x7 is 70, and I'm NOT washing 70 towels every week - not anymore.)

The Process. 


At first,  the money was just given to them, yes they already had chores to do at home, but the chores and the laundry were not connected.  After a while, I realized that in life, money is not just given to us, it is earned.  So I redesigned our process.

Here are the two schedules that hang on our walls at home defining chores:

Chore chart - breaks down what chores each child does during each chore slot.

Daily Schedule - tells when chores must be done during the day

 And, of course their new Responsibility Charts (on the right) - which correlate with the other two schedules, and are interactive, so the kids can visually see how well they are doing each week (and if they are going to make enough money to pay for their laundry)

Now, how does it all work?  

Below is one of the kids weekly responsibility charts.  You'll notice some squares have multiple small squares inside.  Each large square is worth 25¢, but EVERY box inside must be checked off for them to receive that money.  For example, in the morning, Christian has to get up, get dressed in clean clothes (this kids is like Tom Sawyer - barefoot and filthy if I'll allow it), make his bed, and brush his hair. Simple tasks, I know, but they apparently aren't instinctual.  If he does all 4 things, he gets a sticker in the box and has earned 25¢ towards his weekly laundry allotment.

Each of my kids have different chores - as you can see in the chart above.  Every day, they are required to take care of themselves, and their stuff.  But also, they have one specific chore to do before or after every meal.  An additional morning chore, like dump garbage, compost, recycling, or feed cats, dogs, or chickens, etc.  And in the afternoon, they each have a room they are assigned to clean. (8 kids =8 rooms that covers the kitchen, family room, living room, school room, bathroom, entry and stairway, hallway, and front porch area - therefore I am only required to oversee, and 'help' the younger ones with their chores until they are able to do it on their own.)  We change up the specific chores every 6 months to a year, basically once they've begun to do well at one task, they must be ready to learn another.  Once a week, they are required to deep clean that room, mopping, washing, etc. (this box is on the bottom left corner of the chart)

How Does the Money Work?

At the end of each week, we add up how many quarters they've earned, and give them that exact amount of money in their money bags.  I typically give them $3 or $4 in quarters and $1 or $2 in dollar bills, depending on how many quarters are already saved up in their money bag from the previous week.

They fill their laundry bags, load them into the car, and we go to the laundry mat.  They are allowed to wash their laundry with a partner if they think it will save money, and they divide up the cost evenly between themselves.  Everybody does their own laundry, and it only takes about 2 hours.

At first my husband resisted the idea of going to the laundry mat, but after the first visit he was on board.  Before, laundry consumed 3-5 hours throughout my day, now, I only have to spend 2 hours a week.  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the end of each month any money left in their bag is theirs.  We've talked about each kid saving up, to combine their money for a family trip that mom and dad would match what they've saved, but the vote for this is not yet unanimous, so their excess is currently growing. :)

This schedule following, chart making, color-coded, system works for our family (mostly)  the hardest part, is being diligent every day to follow my own schedule. (Yes, I schedule out my day, from workouts, to when I take what vitamins, to my personal work-block for my own businesses.)

So - yes -  I have to walk upstairs and check in the morning that the kids have done their chores, and inspect the kitchen after a meal, and see that their laundry gets put away, but at least I'm not having to cook, clean, and do laundry for 10 people every day - we do it as a family.  And you know what?  My kids actually like the responsibility.  They are so proud when they have done something well - and the littlest ones feel so big.

Why do I Do This?


I value my time, as should you.  And I believe that serving children hand and foot, is hurting them, not helping them.

My job as a parent is to prepare my children to become loving, compassionate, responsible adults, not to be their servant.  I am a firm believer Mother's are not maids, they are individuals and human beings who deserve to take care of themselves.

I love my kids, and enjoy watching them in grow.  I have learned that children do what they see their parents do, so if I want them to grow as individuals, I need to be an individual myself, not a person that is defined only by my children.  And you should too!  :)

Life is All Surreal.  Take time for yourself, and you'll find you have more time to love and care about the people around you.

MJB

Comments

  1. I love this idea but thinking of my own children I wonder..... what if they don't earn enough money to wash their clothes, what if they don't care about having clean clothes. What if they don't want to work is there any consequences? Do they still have to do the chore but without pay? If they did it all perfectly and washed their clothes how much would they be able to save each week?? Does everyone receive the same or do the older ones make more money?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many good questions!! :) I think the key is figuring out what works for your kids. The first couple weeks I was a lot more lenient with what they would receive money for. But as they got the hang of things, my standards got stricter. They are able to earn about double the money every week it takes to wash their clothes (they typically choose to wash with a partner to save even more money.) Offering double means even if they only do half the chores, they still have enough to wash their clothes, just nothing left over to spend.
      And yes, if they forget their morning after meal chore, they still have to do their lunch and dinner chore, but don't get the money that day for their after meal chore at all - this is incentive for them to do it well after all 3 meals.

      Every kid is offered the same amount of money, but the younger ones have easier chores than the older, so it is manageable.

      Good luck!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts