Just a Roll in the Hay

Today, I crazily helped chaperone 12 kids – 7 which were my own - to an insanely large, and normally busy pumpkin patch.

Here's my recount of the day:

We arrived, and checked out the scene, letting the kids play on and in castles built of hay and more (okay, I'll admit, I played a little too). Animals were pet, walls were scaled, and all went well from 9 til lunch.
Even then, nothing went truly wrong.

I pretended to “simply be accompanying” my three year old up the ladder to ride the zip line. But secretly I really just wanted to ride it myself.

Here I am below, faking that she needs me. Yeah, I think the kids in orange has got me figured, but he let me ride anyway.

It was after the zip line, that I was conned into helping some of the older kids navigate a rather large dark maze. I did take into consideration my fear of the dark, and slight claustrophobia. Yet against my better judgment I consented.

A dark maze, evidently, is true to name: Dark. So I spent the next hour and thirty minutes, blind, attempting to find my way through a blur of tunnels and paths constructed from hay, and covered overhead with some material that prevents the sunlight from coming in.

I'd add a picture, but all you would see is black.

Apparently too much darkness can affect ones judgment, because it was after this that I randomly suggested we play hide and seek in this garden. I was it, and it wasn't til I had counted to 10 that I realized telling 12 kids, (many under the age of 6) to “run and hide” in a public place while my eyes are closed probably isn't the best of ideas.

Don't worry, we found them all, safe and sound.

After 6 hours of Pumpkin patching, I was ecstatic to hear we were going to SIT on some hay bales, and ride out to the patch where the children were to pick their favorite garden treats to take home.

This is the form I took once we got there.

If I remember correctly this the precise moment that my 3 year old chose to inform me that she has to go number 2. Lovely, since the bathrooms are now ½ mile away.

Yes I'm slouching, but you would be to had you worn that baby on your front for 6 hours prior.

And this? Well, I just thought it was cute. Child # 7, a game piece on a chess board.

And that was my day. I'd love to hear about yours.

Life is All Surreal.

MJB

Comments

Popular Posts