The mind of a 5 year old

How to make a cat wait til later.

I'll share this blog from over a year ago, since today I'm feeling very uninspired.

The Mind of a 5 Year Old
This morning as our family of eight finished eating our breakfast of pancakes with strawberries and whip cream, My 8 year old came walking into the kitchen with a wide eyed, fur on edge cat.

I began to lecture her, that "Cat's don't belong in the kitchen when we're eating!"

When she panic-laughingly said. "I just found Le-Hon (oh the names they come up with) zipped in a backpack hanging on the wall"

She went on to explain how she'd heard the dog excitedly hopping around in her closet (one more place animals aren't allowed). The dog was nosing the bag and yipping; and oddly enough the bag itself was also moving.

"I thought something really scary was happening" She explained, now teary eyed from laughing while attempting to tell this story.

She went on to inform me how she mustered up the confidence to open the bag, receiving quite a surprise when out popped Le-Hon.

You may well know that my husband (and I at this point) aren't particularly fond of housing every stray cat and kitten in the neighborhood. I'll admit, after our daughter's brief description, both he, and I, burst in to hysterical laughter.

After our laughing fits had settled we did the responsible thing, and lectured the kids on how it was never okay to lock, zip or tie, animals up inside of things. We were sure to mention that this was also not something you did to a little brother or sister.

Then looking around the table at all six innocent faces I asked, "Who committed this crime?"

A question to which our 5 year old responded, "I wanted to hold him later."

Ah yes, now I remember. When breakfast began the 5 year old had come to the table with the orange - haired feline.

When she did so, I informed her, "No cats at the table. Go put him away and you can hold him when we're done."

Evidently, I should have been more careful with my choice of words. Really, she did exactly as I had said. She put the cat away - by zipping him in a bag and hanging him on a wall - so she could hold him again when breakfast was done.

I guess to a 5 year old that's how you do it. . . I wonder If it would be okay for me to reason this way?

Life is All Surreal. You can't zip, tie, or hang it up to wait for you. You have to live it right here, right now.

MJB

Comments

Popular Posts