Early Addictions

I have found as an adult, I desire sweet treats, not so much for the sweet, but because of fond memories I have from my childhood. This addiction/habit is one I hope not to pass on to my children.


A favorite childhood memory of mine is cookies. No not store bought cookies, but the cookies made with love by my mother and grandmother. I vividly remember our yellow laminate kitchen floor, and the white speckled counter atop which sat my mothers sunbeam mixer.
When mom started to make a batch of her favorite chocolate chip cookies, all kids ran to the kitchen in wait of the luxurious beater. There were 3 children and 2 beaters, yet it wasn't the spoonful of cookie dough given that was envied, it was the beloved sunbeam beaters.




Then their was Grandma's house. Grandma's vice were sugar cookies. To this day, I remember being just tall enough to peek up over the "drainboard" as she rolled out the dough, with her white marble rolling pin, then she would let us cut the cookies. The best part, again was eating the scraps left over once the cookies had been removed from the rolled out dough.
Now as a mother creating memories for my children, I do bake the occasional batch of cookies. I even allow them to indulge in the scraps of dough left over. Most often though, you will find me obsessing over whether or not their food has been organically grown. I grow a garden, we hunt and fish, which provides organic meat, I even sew my own organic cloth diapers.

I've decided bad habits from ones childhood, are the hardest to break as an adult. So I figure if I bless my children with good eating habits now they'll last into adulthood. Right?

Interestingly enough, I have come to find, sweets are addicting whether they come with memories or not.


I'll embarrassingly admit, I store a bulk bag of chocolate covered raisins next to my bed for those special female moments in which I need a little boost of Iron. (That's my excuse anyway, I'm not really even sure if there is iron in raisins).

A few nights ago, I decided to type my blog on the bedroom computer. The baby was still awake, so I placed her on my bed and entertained her by letting her play with the bag of chocolate raisins, which were sealed shut.



Now how could a baby get into those? Most adults have a problem opening store sealed bags.

To go along with my obsessive organic kid menu, I don't believe in giving sugar to a baby before they turn one. So baby #7 has never before experienced the sweetness beheld within the yellow bag she so innocently played with.

As I typed my blog, I could hear the baby talking and crinkling the bag. All at once, things became stone silent. I turned to check on her and began to laugh.

Somehow she had opened the seal on the bag, and was now sitting face covered in chocolate, crazed eye look, with two fists full of raisinets.



When I said her name she began to kick, and stuff more chocolate into her mouth as if she knew she better get as much as she could, and fast. It would be a good 4 months before I would let her taste this stuff again, and she was determined to get her fill NOW.

Then there is this afternoon, I returned home from the library with my children to find a large bag of mom's signature candy sitting on the kitchen counter. Thank you mom. I told the kids if they ate their lunch (tuna on lettuce with black beans and oranges) I would allow them each to indulge in the poison of chocolate. And I definitely poisoned my self with some too.

As we were eating, #5, my 3 year old daughter, announced she was done and attempted to scrape her whole salad into the garbage. She was ready to indulge.



I ushered her back to the table, and we continued eating. A few moments later I heard a very familiar crinkling behind me in the kitchen. I looked up and noticed #5 and her plate were nowhere to be found at the table.

Quickly following the sound, I spied the missing child emerging from between the freezer and the counter guilt written on her face. Curiously I looked in the nook from which she had exited and discovered; Candy, out of wrapper, on the floor. and Noticed salad, with plate, in the sink.

So I guess I can try and create good habits for my children, but I may be fighting a loosing battle, especially when it comes to the girls.

Ahhhhh. . .Life is All Surreal. Don't choke out the present in hopes of a better future. Live now for now, and hope it all lasts.

MJB

Now where did I put those raisinets?

Comments

  1. this makes me giggle, Mon. I can totally see your little rascals doing this :) i *LOVE* your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts