Zen in the midst of chaos

It becomes apparent that you have mastered the art of meditation when you have a yoga practice similar to my experience this morning. Or maybe you've just mastered what so many men are born with. That is selective hearing, or the ability to zone out, choosing not to notice unwonted things.


I've always been anti video games for children. Yet, my oldest son at a very young age became obsessed. Whenever we would visit a friends home which beheld a gaming system, he would have something similar to a panic attack if he was not allowed to play. Not a behaviour I wanted to deal with outside our own home.


So naturally when the wii gaming system was released a few years back, I snatched one up, and brought it home to help my son learn self control. Soon after, I purchased wii fit, and made the rule that if the children wanted to play wii, they had to log 20 minutes of exercise on the system first. Needless to say, my children don't play wii nearly as often as my husband and I.


I've enjoyed yoga for the last 6 years, along with running, biking, swimming, anything that will keep me active and release all that built up stress accumulated with a crazy busy life. Generally I'll endure some aerobic activity, and follow up with my own regiment of yoga poses, stretching and relaxing my muscles, and giving my mind a mini vacation.


As for my practice this morning. I began with some wii boxing, followed by some wii hula hooping and finished up with some meditation, and calming yoga poses of my own. I gave my children the task of cleaning their bedroom hoping it would occupy them til I had completed my meditation, so I could have something resembling peace and quiet. Great idea, but naturally they finished just in time to join me during my yoga practice.


First my oldest son came and stood above my hands during downward facing dog, and loudly announced we're finished followed by several questions I purposely did not register as I continued to breath calmly through the pose, attempting to stay in mental relaxation. I carefully jumped into a forward bend, holding my head in place as not to knock over my son and myself in the process. Upon ending the sun salutation I shewed him off along with the others to "double check" their room then moved onto some triangle and warrior poses.


Side poses are the most difficult for me, and while carefully breathing and trying to stay balance in triangle pose, my 2 year old decided to show her love for me by running at full speed and grasping my leg, squeezing tightly until I returned the show of affection. Amazingly, I held through the pose, returned to standing and returned her love. Upon opening my eyes, though, I realized ALL 7 children were sitting in front of me on the couch waiting for me to finish, and release them from "cleaning" duty to play outside. Soo, I ended my practice just shy of my favorite pose, corpse pose. But I feared the result of laying on the ground with so many little ones watching may result in a jump on the stomach. Thus my "Zen in the midst of chaos." At least it lasted for a moment. . . . of course all those beautiful faces staring at me when I opened my eyes did produce a big smile on my face :)


For now, I'd better attend to the baby who just awoke with tears in the bassinet to my right.




Remember life is all surreal, take in every moment while it lasts.

MJB

Comments

Popular Posts